After my Wives' Tales conversation, I was inspired to come up with a list of the ones that I remember from childhood. Wives' Tales my parents and grandparents, even a few of my teachers used to guide - and sometimes warn - me as I made my way through life's daily trials. So, here are a few personal favorites:
- If you sit too close to the television, you'll go blind.
- If you swim immediately after eating, you'll drown.
- Bad luck will be yours if you: break a mirror, open an umbrella indoors, step on a sidewalk crack, or walk under a ladder. (Though you can reverse the bad luck by throwing salt over your shoulder)
- If your right hand itches, money is coming your way. But if you scratch it, you will lose the money before it arrives.
- Three butterflies together mean good luck
- If you shiver suddenly, someone is walking over your grave
- If you bite your tongue while eating, you have recently told a lie
- It will rain if you kill a ladybug.